Today I’m talking to John Doherty, from GetCredo.com.
Credo is an interesting marketplace where if you need SEO services for your business they will match you with an SEO agency. High touch SEO agency matchmaking as a service if you will.
John is a long SEO expert himself. He helps his clients better understand the process of hiring an SEO agency, and he helps agencies get matched up with better clients, well vetted, and qualified every step of the way through.
It is very interesting the angle from which John facilitates all the process from start to finish, in a subject which is cloudy to most of us.
[3:24] How Credo differentiates from a traditional marketplace.
- “I’m kind of an agency for marketing agencies.”
[14:40] The day to day of an SEO professional. Building a marketing team.
- “An in-house SEO does a lot of meetings, because SEO involves the marketing team (content writing), the development team (technical fixes), the PR team (getting back links), the finance team (getting budget), the analytics team (measure the work done).”
- “The works of an SEO are never done. We call it a job security because there’s always more to be done.”
[24:40] How agencies outsource SEO services. Why John did not go the agency model.
- “Startups have trouble hiring marketers because they don’t know how to measure it, to keep them accountable.”
- “I feel I’m on a crusade to make marketers grow up to business people.”
[30:50] Launching Credo. Why a model where email is obscured like UpWork does, does not work with six figures transactions.
- “I won’t refer bad clients. My agencies are OK with that, because they want me to send them good clients. I save them from the bad clients.”
- “When I was running it as a marketplace, 5% of clients introduced to agencies were closing into a project. Now it’s 25%, which is above industry average for this business.”
[37:03] Credo’s process to onboard clients. Avoiding client ghosting.
- “When you are the expert it’s hard to be OK with something not being done ideally.”